We hear it all the time….
- “What do I put a Karmik decal on.”
- “I cant think of anything to put a decal on.”
- “I don’t have anything worth protecting.”
- “I don’t buy expensive gear.”
At Karmik we believe you DO have items worth protecting. As you think about your outdoor or personal gear, try to consider these factors.
COST: expensive items- If something is prohibitively expensive to replace it needs a decal. If it stores a lot of gear (packs and Cases), thus being expensive, it needs a decal. Examples: Spotting Scopes with a tripod. That setup is over $7000 and although it might be hard to lose, it’s worth the cost of Karmik’s lost and found Service, just in case. We like to say our decals have a 2X value. They protect your original purchase price and prevent the need for a repurchase.
LOSE-ABILITY: Small and portable does not mean inexpensive or non-valuable. However, small and portable DOES equate to easily being lost. If gear is small and portable it might deserve a decal based on that fact alone. Nalgenes or HydroFlask are portable by design and are lost ALL THE TIME! They are not that expensive nor do they often carry sentimental value. But if you don’t want to buy them over and over for yourself or your kids, you should get a decal. Trekking poles are lost quite frequently. You see them at trailheads all the time. Depending on the size of the item our Karmik Anywhere decal is your go to solution.
SENTIMENTAL: This goes without explanation, somethings are irreplaceable. As outdoor folk we can get attached to our favorite gear and we can have fond memories as we use gear. Also, if someone we are attached to gave us something, that item is automatically irreplaceable. I have a Karmik decal on my Buck knife that my father gave me before my first deer hunt. I can’t get another one, ever; thus, I can’t lose it. Please, do not forget to protect your irreplaceable items.
If an item is firmly in one of those categories above it MAY warrant a Karmik decal. If an item you posses overlaps with two of them, it SHOULD have a decal. And finally, an item that is expensive, irreplaceable, and easily lost MUST have a decal.
1. COST & SENTIMENTAL: At a fly fishing expo I encountered a lady who stood back from the booth and gazed at Karmik, then came in and started to get teary eyed. She lost a net recently. This net was her brother’s and he gave it to her. They loved fly fishing together. He passed away after a battle with cancer. Every time she would fish with it, she was reminded of him. It was their bond. She didn’t lose a $198 net, she lost a tangible memory of her late brother. That net might sway far more in the Sentimental value category but the price tag is still there to buy another. Imagine finding a net yourself. Would you be so excited to keep this high dollar item or would you want to return it. Now imagine finding her net and being able to read her story about that item. What lengths would you go to to get it back? A Karmik decal would allow you to see the sentimental value of the item and the ability to get it back.
2. The COST & LOSE-ABILITY overlap is a no brainer. Easily lost and expensive to replace; yep, put a Karmik decal on it. Maybe the most common lost item while hunting is a rangefinder. That is a small item that is easily misplaced in the woods. A single maple leaf can cover your $500 rangefinder! Air Pods are lost all the time. My Garmin In-Reach Mini is with me on pretty much any hunt or backpacking trip or solo adventure. It is small and expensive to replace.
3. LOSE-ABILITY & SENTIMENTAL: items that are easily lost and sentimental need to be protected. My buddy has a discontinued Sage Fly Rod. He loves it. They don’t make it anymore and if he lost it he simply could not replace it. Fly rods are lost often.
The Trinity or Trifecta or Thrice Level of Importance (hmmm should TM that) you need a Karmik decal on those items. Admittedly, I don’t think I own something that is expensive, lose-able and sentimental. These items are rare and cherished and mean a lot to you. They would not mean the same to a finder. Think of your gear and if it fits in this area, you need a Karmik decal.
- Robert, Founder of Karmik and clarity bringer.